Tuesday, April 29, 2014

A Most Excellent Morning of Birding in Suffolk County NY

4-24-14

Look at the birds,
Look how they smile for you,
And everything you do,
Yeah, they were all yellow.

The Warblers are coming, the Warblers are coming! Some of the first to pass through are also the most colorful and sought after. One such bird is the Prothonotary Warbler, and a very confiding one showed up at Fuch's Pond.

I got there at about 7am and joined a few others looking for the bird. We started to spread out when someone yelled out: "it's here". We ran back as fast as we could and were treated to this ball of avian sunshine that had been moved our way inadvertently by a dog walker.

It spent it's time foraging along the shore of the pond in close proximity to us gawkers, and allowed great views and pictures. YB 171.

Yes, I'm gorgeous and I know it.
If that were not enough a Green Heron flew in to everyone's delight. YB 172.

Satisfied with my good luck, I decided to try again for the Yellow-throated Warbler at Connetquot STPK. I made my way to the comfort station building, and soon heard a warbler's call. I looked about for it, and it made it's presence known by singing prominently from a deciduous tree. YB 173.

Yelow-throated Warbler
What a nice day of birding.

No comments: